Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why Mr. M, from DRC was denied asylum

Judge Easterbrook denied asylum to Mr. M, who said he was beaten four times, because:

1. Mr. M was inconsistent; each time he repeated his story, he changed some details.
2. Mr. M did not give details about many things. "Liars tend to say less, and to provide fewer details."
3. Liars tend to distance themselves from their lies; they include fewer references to themselves; they do not state their own personal feelings.
4. Truthtellers know they have forgotten certain details and are happy to admit it.

5. some details have the "ring of truth:" "the guard who hit me had bad breath"
"the wall of my cell was light-brown."
6. What thoughts went through your mind? "as he pulled out his baton to hit me, I feared I would be crippled for life. I envisioned my friend John who is in a wheelchair."

No comments: