Thursday, October 31, 2013

activist from Burundi

The Asylum Officer asked:
-show me your passport!
was your application read back to you in a language you can understand?
Can you answer each question on page 1 of I-589?
Can you repeat the info on page 4 of I-589?
=
why are you applying for asylum?
Who do you fear?
Do you fear anyone else?
Why would Government harm you?
They would harm you b/c of your political opinion? any other reason?
How about because of your ethnic group?
What is your political opinion?
How does anyone in your country know your political opinion?
=
what is your ethnic group?
How does anyone in your country know your ethnic group?
Have you been mistreated b/c of your ethnic group?
-in 1999, rebels came into your house? what words did they say? can you repeat their words, right now, for me?
-did anyone else in your family get hurt? anyone suffer physical harm? anyone suffer emotional harm?
-did you report the home invasion to the police? why not?
=
how did the war affect you mentally?
Did you write a two-page Declaration? am I looking at it, right now?
You told me a story about the rebels in 1999. Why isn't that story in your Declaration?

No comments: