Friday, October 18, 2013

activist from Cameroon #4

The Asylum Officer asked:
When was your first arrest?
Why were you arrested?
What did the policeman say to you?
He spoke in what language?
what clothes was he wearing?
what weapons did he have?
did he touch you?
did he put his hands on you?
Why did he arrest you?
[on page 5 of the asylum application, are six boxes: race/religion/political opinion etc.
If you were arrested for one of those reasons, maybe you get asylum. If you were arrested for another reason, such as you robbed a bank, or were a drunk driver, or you broke a window of the neighbor living near you, then no asylum. People who rob banks should get arrested, shouldn't they?]
So, why were you arrested?

=
What is a "declaration"? is your Declaration at page 11 of your application?
Can you repeat it?
when you talk to the Asylum Officer, does the Officer have it in front of him, and he reads it, as you talk, to see if you can repeat it?
-if your Declaration says, "When I was arrested, I was with my wife," but, in front of the officer, you say, "when I was arrested, I was alone, because my wife was at church," then the Officer will be annoyed. The Officer will ask, "why did you say one thing in your Declaration but something else to me? Do I know more about your Declaration than you do?"

No comments: