Thursday, December 19, 2013

an activist from Tanzania

The Asylum Officer asked:
-Can you repeat page one? NO, you can't? why not?
What is your name? your name is wrong? If you get your name wrong, what else is wrong?
-when did you first become politically active?
Why join that party? what was its platform?
Tell me three planks in the platform!
What appealed to you about the party?
Give me more details! why can't you give me more details? were you really a member of the party, or are you just faking it?

Why did you join in 2009, and not earlier?
How did you participate in the party?
You say you attended meetings? so, you sat on a chair and listened to others talk?
If a deaf man was there, what words would he have heard?
-tell me three subjects that were debated
-tell me three alternatives that were discussed
=
pretend I am blind, and I am at the meeting. Describe it to me: how big is the room? lighting? chairs? tables,people, things written on the walls?
-what did you see, with your eyes?
[WERE YOU REALLY AT THE MEETING, OR ARE YOU JUST PRETENDING?

=
you say you went to a rally, and the police came?
Did you have a permit for the rally? did you throw stones at the police?
Did you violate the law of your country?
Pretend I am blind, and that I was there with you. Describe to me, what you saw

Pretend I am deaf, and that I was with you. What was there to hear? Who spoke,
and what did they say?
-if a man with a video, CAM-recorder was there, and he filmed you, and then I
see the film, what would it show you doing? just standing there?
Were your hands emppty? or were you holding a large placard?
Were you silent, or did you chant slogans?
=
Who was in charge of the rally? who organized it? how were you invited to it?
How did you get to it? drive a car? for how many minutes?

-did the policeman have any weapons? did he say anything?

No comments: